Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Just Visiting This Planet

Honestly, that's how I feel a lot of the time.  I walk among you.  I look a lot like you.    I speak your language and follow your customs, but I'm not what you are.  Beyond the superficial, there's a fundamental disconnect.  We don't understand each other.  It's bidirectional.  My brain doesn't process the inputs it receives the way yours does.  My thoughts don't travel the same pathways yours do.  Your doctors have studied other visitors like me and proven this.  I'm not better or worse off than you, no smarter, not diminished, but I am quite different.

For some reason, my brain absorbs details that you natives miss.  I "see things".   I know things about you, but don't know how I know them.  I'm not "psychic" and won't be opening my own 1-900 service.  My brain is recording different information than yours.  I don't understand it either, but it's there.  I'm very hard to lie to.  You try, but for some reason, many of the tricks and slights of hand that work on others don't work on me.  I see them, and will never admit how low your success rate really is.  You all may have a meeting and change your tactics.

My sense of humor escapes you.  Let's leave it at that!

Things that appear "obvious, simple, and logical" to me don't seem that way to you.  I try to explain how I see things, but it leaves us both frustrated.  Often, you question my motives.  Even when you follow my reasoning, you find it odd and believe there must be a hidden agenda.  To me, it's as plain as print on paper.  We have a fundamental disconnect.

Many of you decide that I'm "a bit too much" once you discover that I am not "one of you".  Some discover it quickly and keep me at arms length.  Others find it intriguing.  Few keep me around very long.  A very small group have decided that the benefit far outweighs the cost and have accepted me as one of their own.  This part of my story pays honor to those few.  They make living here tolerable.

I don't hate the natives of this planet.  Few of them have been truly malicious toward me, and those are easy enough to avoid.  In truth, I think I frighten most.  The "don't try to pet it Marge, it might bite" look is quite familiar.  I can't say I'd be any different were the roles reversed.  I'm not superior/inferior, not gifted/cursed, not angel/demon.  Let's just say "I ain't from these parts."

No comments:

Post a Comment